We are fortunate to live at a time when good info and purposeful companies are helping us break the cycle of overconsumption, material waste, and plastics dependency. This is fundamental to taking care of our environment, our health, our finances, and a peaceful home. Many want to do this but only make gradual or occasional improvements because of a lack of planning or a belief that recycling is the answer. The beauty of the kind of simplicity that I'm encouraging is that once it's done, it's done. Suddenly, you're making a major impact. I want to be that good neighbor who helps you act on your best impulses. This is my service to the community.
WHAT I'M OFFERING:
A 1-hour presentation and personal consultation, in-person (in Los Angeles) or by Skype or FaceTime.
Together, we'll determine an easy-to-follow plan :
- Cutting out single-use plastic.
- Progressively and definitely eliminating domestic plastics.
- Adapting your buying, cleaning, and disposal habits to maintain your lifestyle without the junk.
WHAT I'M ASKING:
- That you share the service if you're satisfied. This is a word-of-mouth effort.
- A simple, small donation if you can afford it. To offset gas and time and to incentivize other coaches that I will train to provide this service in the future. (BUT PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS COMPLETELY DONATION OPTIONAL. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THIS SERVICE IS OPEN TO EVERYONE.)
WHAT I WISH:
If this is a successful model for neighbors to help neighbors - we can expand the network of wizards and the range of our impact, across the US and the globe. If we have even 10 wizards, donating 5 hours per week to this community service - we can help convert 2400 homes to low-waste living, every year! This can make a remarkably significant impact, while spreading the word in a community-building way. The EPA estimates that the average American makes about 1600 lbs. of garbage per year. If we just halved that in 2400 4-person homes - we would be eliminating 7,680,000 lbs of waste every year!
WHERE I GET MY INFORMATION:
For the past decade - information about the depth and specificity of the impact of the industrialized world on the natural world has become front and center in geo-politics and popular culture. In this time, in addition to the conservation organizations that have been active for decades, lifestyle thinkers and entrepreneurs have acted to create guides and products that allow us to make an informed and easy transition to low-waste living. Below are a few of the places that I look to in creating a flexible set of references and resources for your service.